Sunday, March 30, 2008

20/20 Perfect Vision

On a trip to Best Buy yesterday a Dilated Peoples album I never knew was released caught my eye. When I plopped it into the CD deck of my car for the ride home, it made me wonder why I hadn’t listened to these guys lately…I forgot how dope they were and how they always modify but manufacture consistently high quality music.

Dilated Peoples have done it yet again with the newest album, 20/20, but not only that, they maintain a constant updating of their formula while staying true to what brought them into the game.

The groups members, DJ Babu from the DJ crew Beat Junkies, Evidence, and Rakaa joined together in 1992 and slowly started developing a solid fan base in the underground hip hop community

20/20 starts off with 'Back Again' a great song to start off considering the ridiculously head thumping beat produced by The Alchemist. Then it kicks in to one of the best songs on the album 'You Can't Hide, You Can't Run' which I think really brought the best out of Rakaa lyrically. You've got many other stand outs like 'Kindness For Weakness' featuring Talib Kweli, 'The Eyes Have It', and the Reggae influenced 'Firepower!’

Every track on this CD was expertly and precisely produced. The melodies and rhymes intertwine subtly and sometimes the DJ spins out a bass thump or vocal so high, it’s hard to tell if it’s the artists rapping or the music speaking.

Overall Rating:
4 out 5 Neighborhood Watches

No comments: